Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My Motivation


I have decided to run more.  For years I've run a couple of times a week, most weeks, ok, a lot of weeks.  Of course there have also been times when I didn't run for weeks or months for personal or health reasons.  I had a lower lumbar spinal fusion, pneumonia, ankle sprains, three children-one of which was high risk and resulted in an emergency c-section, etc... I've been a military wife/mom, I've been a single mom, and now I'm a married civilian mom raising my children mostly alone because my husband's job keeps him away about 75% of the time.

Since my competitive years (I started when I was 9 and ran in high school and collegiately), running is more of a social event for me than anything else.  I doubt I will ever be as fast as I once was.  It's not that it's impossible, but it's just not a priority.  I enjoy running with others and find it difficult to get out the door and run alone.  Last year I found a running group where I lived and made fast friends with a few members who lived just miles from me.  I ran alone a few days a week, as well as with my new friends once or twice a week.  I've since moved for grad school, but whenever I go home we do our best to meet up and run on Saturday mornings.

Generally, I lack motivation. I think it may be the procrastinator in me....but I want to run more.  Lack of motivation stems from: the hellish South Texas heat and humidity (heat index consistently in the triple digits), maintaining the house, keeping up with three boys-two of them under the age of 3, and my courseload.  I took 15 hours last semester (my first semester), 9 this Summer and will be taking 16 in the Fall.  I actually just got a phone call informing me that my request for an overload was granted.  A lot of times I also just have no one to watch the boys-we moved from away home for me to attend grad school, plus the great friends I've made are in my program and have the same class schedule as I do.

Lately though, I have been motivated.  I read several blogs about fitness, running and nutrition which makes me daydream about accomplishing my own, similar goals.  I've been reading them for months, however, and it hasn't really lit much of a fire in me.  My true motivation is coming from people who are just beginning (or re-beginning) their fitness journeys.  Maybe it's less intimidating, or because I know their struggles.  Those who are well into their journey make it seem so easy and effortless.  I guess I feel like I have training partners in the newbies because we are dealing with the same demons and their small words of encouragement through a text or social media means they're watching me too.
.

Two weeks ago I decided to amp up the motivation and make an actual goal for myself.  I've run more races in my career than I could even begin to count but never anything over a 10k.  My goal is to complete the Hill Country Half in October.  Excerpt from their race description on active.com:
 "Lookin' for that new 1/2 marathon challenge in your life and a race worthy enough to call Texas home? Wrestle up your favorite runnin' shoes cuz the elements that make Texas great from the wide open spaces to the native landscape covered hills await you along a very scenic & smooth roads in and around the JW Marriott.  When you're done, enjoy an after party full of everything Texan and the kind of relaxation only a world class resort can provide. Great group room rates available. We run Texas tough; no challenge too steep and no reward too luxurious. Are YOU ready for the challenge?"
Definitely a challenging first 1/2 marathon to pick, but hey if you're gonna go for it, go big!  Here's hoping for smooth training....

No comments:

Post a Comment