Monday, July 1, 2013

South Texas Training

I've been training myself to start training.  Sounds a little stupid, I know but what I mean is that I have been trying to acclimate to the heat and humidity.  Summer arrived while I was taking about a month off to nurse my sprained ankle.  Humidity has been getting close to 90% pretty much at any time of day. I think I'm getting used to running in South Texas conditions.  I am definitely hydrating more and have considered getting a camelbak.

What I mean is for now, I'm just been putting in "time" on the road.  I haven't worried much about how many miles or how fast I am going.  The couple of times I took my Soleus gps watch out I was sorely disappointed.  Mentailly, it's a difficult thing to run now.  I was fairly competitive back in my day and seeing the numbers now makes me cringe a little.  So I set my goals as 30 min, 45 min, etc...except on Saturdays when I typically go to back home and run with members of a running club.

I estimate that I ran about 25 miles last week (cautiously).  On Saturday I got up at 4:30 to run with my girls back home.  It was 78 degrees but actually felt it.  Generally I am used to the heat index being 10-15 degrees higher.  It was a welcome change, too bad I can't run at that hour all the time.  Anyway, our goal was to run 6, but we ended up overshooting a little and ran 6.12.  These are the times I kind of wish I used my Soleus more; I would have completed the 10k.

Incorporating any speed work will come in the next few weeks.  I really just wanted a little base mileage to get my body going and have a starting point.  I did manage a mini speed workout in the form of a tempo run last week and hit pretty close to what I'd like my goal pace to be for the half in October.  My sister and I are collaborating on my workouts.  Mostly she tells me what to do and I try not to have to modify it too much, lol.  Honestly, usually what she tells me is what I had in mind anyway, but it's easier for me to be motivated when I have to be accountable to someone else.

Sunday was my day off and today ended up being an unexpected day off because I had to take Trey to the doctor (he scratched his cornea).  We didn't have an appointment so we spent a couple of hours at the doctor and then I had class.  Next week I start a morning class, so my availability to workout will be the window between 10am and 3pm.  Not looking forward to that...will probably move most of my runs indoors unless HR is home.






No comments:

Post a Comment