Friday, July 19, 2013

Challenge

I'd love to write about running and all the consistent running and progress I've been making.  I'd love to write about how I've acclimated to the outdoors and have been doing some indoor "speed" workouts at the university gym.  I would be lying.

I ran 3 short runs last week and once this week.  The truth is, as much as I want to run more, life's little challenges have gotten in the way.  You may call them excuses, but there are some things I just cannot get around.  Last week HR was gone for 7 days and 8 nights.  He was working in a rural cellular "dead zone".  Our contact was limited to a few strange texts that came at random times of day.  When he is gone I am a single mom.  He hates when I say that, but I am.  We have no friends (other than the ones I've made that are actually part of my program) or family around to help me.  Seventy percent of the time I am a single mom raising 2.5 kiddos (Caiden has been splitting his time visiting us and his cousins and grandma).  I have to get my runs in sometime after I drop off the boys at daycare at 8:00am (but not until my 8:30am class is over at 10:30am) and before I pick them up at 4:15pm.  Not to mention that I am currently taking summer courses.  I pretty much have a 4.5 hour window on a given day to do whatever it is I need/want to do which includes things like: working out, showering, cleaning house, laundry, reading, homework assignments, grocery shopping, cooking.....

Last week Trey scratched his cornea.  I spent a day at the doctor for a few hours since we were walking-in.  Thursday there was no daycare due to the 4th of July holiday.  I ran Tuesday and Friday and intended on a Sunday long run since HR would be back by then.  I opted instead for a family walk/run.  We walked about a mile, and Trey ran just over 400m with me.


Trey ran and ran, and even stopped to smell the flowers =)


This week Trey woke up one night throwing up.  I had to get up and get him bathed, the bed itself cleaned and the sheets, pillow and comforter had to be rinsed and thrown in the wash.  In the midst of it all Ryan woke up. I had to put them both to sleep.  Cut to...about an hour later I finally drifted back to sleep when HR's phone was going off.  The yard was calling and wanting him to come in in an hour.  The yard is about 35 min away, so we scrambled to make sure he had everything and I saw him off.  I had restless sleep the rest of the night.

The next evening Trey had a nose bleed and then it was Ryan's turn to throw up.  Womp Womp.  Repeat clean up.

Today, I got a little creative and did some stairs in the library and some stride outs too.  It's Thursday, the library was dead.  My back ached from sitting for hours, not to mention it was freezing in there.  Why not?

***This was written last week and I completely forgot to submit it ***
FYI: This week was no better for running as I had a research paper to do and the stomach but made another round, to include myself and Caiden this time.  Running has take a bit of a back seat, but I've not forgotten it.  Ran 2.5 easy miles this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment